cement plant / Porto Torres / 1957 - 1983 / 2006
This tiny cement plant was established in 1957 to manufacture white cement from local kaolin. Between 1960 and 1964 the plant supplied the construction of San Giovanni Battista church in Firenze (also known as Chiesa dell'Autostrada del Sole), designed by Giovanni Michelucci. The takeover by Cementerie del Tirreno (Cementir) in 1966 was followed by several improvements which increased the overall capacity up to 50000 t/y. The cement plant was closed in 1983.