CEMENTERIA DI CASSAGO
cement plant / Cassago Brianza / 1946 - 2001 / 2006
This cement plant was founded in 1946 by Angelo Bongiasca nearby a large marlstone quarry. Initially equipped with vertical shaft kilns, it was updated in mid 1950s with a Breda rotating kiln. In 1964-65 the old vertical furnaces were replaced by a Leopol rotating kiln and the cement plant was completely renovated. In 1994 it was taken over by Cementeria di Merone, a major local cement producer and, in turn, by the Swiss group Holcim in 1996. Closed in 2001 and demolished in 2008.