cement plant / Montoggio / 1909 - 1981 / 2009
The foundation of Cementifera Ligure had its roots in the traditional lime production which developed around Montoggio from the late 17th century. Local producers, in fact, decided to shift from lime to cement in early 1900 and, in partnership, promoted the construction of a brand new cement factory. This was equipped with a battery of four Dietzsch-type shaft kilns, which were charged through a decauville coming from the mine nearby. Production was stopped in early 1970s, leaving just grinding activities for ten more years. The most outstanding feature of this relatively small complex is that the original layout has survived until the present time without any significative alteration.