fertilizers factory / Bagnolo Mella / 1897 - 1992 / 2008
The Consorzio Agrario (farmers' cooperative) of Bagnolo Mella was created in 1897, being the first in Italy aiming to manufacture phosphatic fertilizer on its own. Production started on the following year, although remaining relatively poor until the installation of a sulfuric acid plant in 1904. At the time superphosphate was obtained through a mixture of pulverized bones and acid. Only from 1910 that was replaced by mineral superphosphate (which used phosphate rocks instead of bones). The overall capacity of the plant was about 7500 t of fertilizer and 5000 t of sulfuric acid. Within the Consorzio the fertilizer manufacturing sector was so important that, in 1925, it was committed to a subsidiary company called SA Fabbrica di Concimi Chimici e Prodotti Affini.
A relevant transformation of the factory occurred in the late 1940s, with the implementation of the modern Kuhlmann continuous process (20000 t/y). For the storage of superphosphate a beautiful reinforced concrete parabolic silo was built in 1953, designed by engineer Alberto Minghetti. Superphosphate production decreased significantly during the late 1970s, and stopped definitively in 1985. A few years later the site was closed.
Porta, G. (a cura di) (1998), Cent'anni di lavoro e progresso in agricoltura: un secolo di vita del Consorzio agrario di Brescia, Poligrafica Bresciana, Brescia.
Schreiber, R. (1942),1932-1942: il primo decennale del Consorzio agrario provinciale per la provincia di Brescia, Litografica Bresciana, Brescia.