STABILIMENTO DI ROSSIGLIONE
cotton mill / Rossiglione / 1875 - 1981 / 2009
The Rossiglione cotton mill used to be one of the most relevant industrial site of the Sturla Valley, a narrow one in the inland of Genova. The factory was established in 1875 by Ambrogio Figari. Provided with spinning, weaving and dyeing departments, the cotton mill employed 650 people and processed more than 800 t of raw cotton - imported by sea from the United States of America, Egypt and India. In 1884 the factory was partially destroyed by a fire. Once rebuilt, the company Cotonificio Ligure was founded to replace the old family business. In 1900 a second, much more ruinous fire completely destroyed the factory. The reconstruction was the occasion to further enlarge the plant.
Hard working conditions (11 hours per day) and miserable salaries led to several protests among the workers, especially women. The peak was reached on October 18, 1907 when 70 female workers left their activities and the management, while temporary closing the factory, responded through the dismissal of them. During the 1920s and 1930s the core of the whole company's production was concentrated in the Rossiglione plant. Noteworthy, between 1936 and 1943, the cotton mill produced mainly military fabrics using the autarchic wool Lanital - developed by SNIA Viscosa. Heavily bombed during 1944 and 1945, the factory was reactivated in 1946. The positive developments of the 1950s failed into avoid a structural crisis, which emerged clearly in mid 1960s. During the following decade the cotton mill - obsolete and badly localized - was partially damaged by several floods of the Sturla river. In 1981 the factory was closed and the company was liquidated.
Pesce, A. (1996), Cotonificio Ligure, un secolo di storia, Tipografia Minetti, Ovada.