SOCIETÀ DI MONTEPONI
CENTRALE TERMOELETTRICA DI PORTOVESME
coal-fired power plant / Portoscuso / 1915 - 1961 / 2006 / MONTEPONI Iglesias
This power station was built in 1915 by SES-Società Elettrica Sarda. Located nearby the little harbor of Portovesme, in south-west Sardinia, it was the first power station in Italy to use the local Sulcis coal as fuel (in particular the one from the Terras Collu mine). In 1926 the power station was taken over by Monteponi mining company, which was already present in the harbor with some warehouses and a pier. Further enlarged during the 1930s to fulfill the need of the expanding mining activity, the power plant reached an overall capacity of 6600 kW in 1938. Surpassed by new, larger coal-fired and hydroelectric power stations in the 1950s, the tiny Monteponi power station was dismantled in 1961.
AA. VV. (1950), Società di Monteponi 1850-1950, Tipografiai Vincenzo Bona, Torino.
Mezzolani, S., Simoncini, A. (2001), Sardegna da Salvare. Storia, Paesaggi e Architetture delle Miniere, Editrice Archivio Fotografico Sardo, Nuoro.