archive / reportage / info





coal-fired power plant / San Giovanni Suergiu / 1939 - 1965 / 2006 / 2013


The process of electrification of Sardinia began in 1911 with the creation SES-Società Elettrica Sarda, which aimed to use local resources, such as water and coal. The latter, in particular, was discovered in the Sulcis region. Significant developments in the mining industry started from 1930, along with the creation of several new towns and the improvement of Sant'Antioco harbor. The cooperation between SES and SMCS (the state-owned coal mining company) resulted in the construction of a new large coal-fired power station on the coastline of San Giovanni Suergiu.



In 1939 Santa Caterina power plant began its activity, equipped with five Gefia boilers - designed specifically to burn local coal - and four Stal and Franco Tosi turbines, having a total capacity of 40320 kW. During the Second World War the power station served not only the Sulcis region but even the city of Cagliari. Its importance decreased in late 1950s when a new larger coal/oil-fired power plant was activated within the industrial harbor of Portovesme. Following the 1962 energy sector nationalization SES ceased to exist and Santa Caterina power plant was at first mothballed, then closed in 1965.