CEMENTERIA DI PALAZZOLO
On this site the very first modern cement plant in Italy was established starting from 1856. Created by the French company Lamarque&Lautrec, it consisted in a group of kilns which main purpose was to provide concrete for the construction of the nearby railway viaduct - managed by the company above-mentioned. Once the viaduct was completed the factory was sold to the railroad company Società Ferroviaria dell'Alta Italia and from there to Giuseppe Piccinelli's Società Bergamasca per la Fabbricazione del Cemento e della Calce Idraulica, in 1872. The plant was then completely renovated through the installation of six Dietzsch shaft kilns, reaching a monthly capacity of 5500 t of natural cement. In 1906 the Piccinelli company merged with the Bergamo-based Pesenti one, giving birth to Società Italiana dei Cementi e delle Calci Idrauliche, later Italcementi. During the 1930s the cement plant shifted from natural to artificial cement production, being amongst the earliest in Italy. A first rotary kiln was put on stream in 1931, while a second one followed in 1940. Both of them used the wet process. Heavily damaged during the conflict, the factory was quickly restored and was able to restart already in 1946. Reconstruction was the occasion to further improve the production capacity, passing from the prewar level of 120000 t to 144000 t. In 1960s Italcementi slowly replaced this cement plant with a new larger one in Rezzato. Rotary kilns were stopped in 1966 and grinding activities ten years later.
Zamagni, V. (2006), Italcementi , Il Mulino, Bologna.