MILANESE & AZZI
CEMENTERIA DI CASALE MONFERRATO
The city of Casale Monferrato used to be the home of Italian cement industry and one of the main production centers before the diffusion of artificial cement in the 1930s. This factory, in particular, was founded in 1903 by Milanese & Azzi, one of the city-based companies owned by Francesco Milanese and Azzi brothers. In 1913 the plant was equipped with 7 vertical shaft kilns for natural cement production and 4 limekilns. Further improvements occurred in the 1930s, along with the addition of a rotating kiln for artificial clinker production. At the threshold of the Second World War the cement plant was amongst the largest in the Casalese cement district, with a capacity of 90000 t/y. The latter, fell down to 39.797 t/a in 1948 due to war damages, was soon recovered. During the 1950s the old vertical shaft kilns were demolished and, in 1960, the original rotating kiln was replaced with an up-to-date Humboldt one provided with a suspension preheater – the first of its kind to be installed in the region. In 1972 Milanese & Azzi ceased to exist after the takeover by the twin company Cementifera Italiana Fibronit, the fibre-cement branch of Milanese's business. The Casale cement plant, amongst the few still active in the city, was later transferred to a subsidiary called Cementifera Fibronit which, in turn, was taken over by Italcementi in 1987. Immediately, the latter decided to stop the rotating kiln and thus cement production, leaving just grinding activities and storage. In 2006 the site was definitively closed.
Foresto, E. et al (1998), Uomini di Miniera, Diffusioni Grafiche, Villanova Monferrato.
Ramello, M. (ed) (2013), La riconversione del patrimonio industriale. Il caso del territorio casalese nella prospettiva italiana ed europea, Firenze, Alinea.
Zamagni, V. (2006), Italcementi, Il Mulino, Bologna.