tannin/chipboard factory / Villafranca Lunigiana / 1903/1970-2000 / 2007, 2010
In 1903 a large tannin factory was opened here by SIECC-Società Italiana Estratti Concianti e Coloranti, with the aim to exploit the vast chestnut forests of the Magra valley. This activity was carried on until the 1970s and then replaced by composite wood manufacturing. On the same site, nearby the disused old plant, a chipboard panels factory was established and shared among two twin companies: Panda for chipboard production and Trada for plastic coating. In the 1990s the factory was taken over by Verpan and later leased to Axaff. Closure came in 2000 after the latter company went bankruptcy.